The Museum initiated its activities in 1972 with the exhibition of archaeological and ethnographic artifacts, and continued to serve in different buildings and locations over time. Today, the museum, which hosts visitors in the renovated old Government House, exhibits artifacts of the Bronze Age, Hittite, Phrygian, Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Seljuk, and Ottoman Periods.
During scientific excavations carried out in late Miocene vertebrate fossil beds by the museum in cooperation with the Faculty of Language and History and Geography, in the University of Ankara since 1997, there were found 7-8 million years old fossils of the ancestors of elephants, rhinoceros, sheep, goats, pigs, giraffes, deer, and other primates. All finds are exhibited in the “Natural History” section.
The first hominoid fossils, which are rarely encountered in excavations, were excavated from this locality. Excavations made in 2006 revealed the skull of the saber-toothed tiger. The fossils extracted from the excavations are exhibited in the Fossil Section established in a part of the Çankırı Museum.
Radio and Communication Museum
The “Ferit Akalın Radio and Communication Museum” - The ventures of an old inventor from Çankırı, named Ferit Akalın, who was highly curious about radio technology, from installing the first television antennas in Çankırı to remote controlling a vehicle in a stadium through radio frequency, are all cherished in this museum. Over the years, the museum collection grew through the acquisition of further printed and oral sources, in addition to his donation. Oral history records, documentary filming, and national archive surveys performed during the foundation of the museum contribute greatly to the maintenance of the museum collection and archive.
The main purpose of the museum is to convey the historical development of communication tools through human stories. The museum has preferred those archives, stories, and documents that focus on the subject of communication by highlighting the region of Çankırı. On the other hand, the museum discusses the universal development and motifs of communication as well as its connections with the world and Türkiye, through supplementary information.
The museum is the meeting point, where the topic of communication connects the visitors with living and breathing interactive applications. Thus the museum, which has communication as its collection and subject, focused its agenda intensively on the development of interactive applications.
In the museum, the visitors can broadcast radio, write letters, send postcards, and experience many more interactive communication media.
Dr. Rıfkı Kamil Urga Çankırı Research Centre
The old hospital building, where injured soldiers were treated during the War of Independence, serves as the Çankırı Research Centre.
The centre, which maintains its activities under the supervision of approximately 70 local and foreign scientists, hosts the digital recordings and restoration studies of 30,000 historical documents, and the classification works of two Ottoman language experts. These works will shed light not only on the history of Çankırı but also on the history of Türkiye and the world.
It is believed that the salt deposits have been used since the Hittite Period. They constitute Türkiye’s largest rock salt reserves. The cave was formed through excavations for salt mining. The fascinating cave’s size allows trucks to move freely in it.
There is also an exhibition of sculptures made of rock salt, and realistically replicated Orkhon Monuments in the cave. Also very interesting for the visitors to see is the mummified donkey, which, due to the then conditions, was left back in a corner 200 years ago, after it broke its leg.
Cemaleddin Ferruh Darülhadisi (Taş Mosque)
This Mosque is the most important building remaining from the Seljuk Period in Çankırı. The Darüşşifa (hospital) was built in 1235 and Darülhadith (the place where hadith sciences was taught) was built next to it in 1242. The Darüşşifa was completely destroyed because it was made of rubble stone, while the dâr-ûl hadis part, which is commonly known as Taş Mosque, could survive until today. During later times, one of the most important Mevlevi lodges of the period was built in the area, which also fell prey to the time.
Another issue, which makes Taş Mosque important, in addition to its architectural feature, are the two pieces of stone, which depict figures. One is embedded on the structure, and the other has the form of a sculpture. The first piece, which is on the building, depicts two snakes winding around each other. This symbol is used as the “Symbol of Medicine” today. The second piece, which is still exhibited in the Çankırı Museum, shows a snake figure twined around a cup, which is used as the “Symbol of Pharmacy” today.
It is known, that the Çankırı Mevlevi Lodge was situated next to the Taş Mosque. However, only photos remained of it. The Mevlevi Lodge and the Darüşşifa part, of which remains of its foundation were found, have been rebuilt in line with their originals.
The Taş School was opened in 1893 as a high school, called İdadi Mektep. The two-story building located in the city centre was made of cut stone. Another feature of the building, which is still used as a Fine Arts High School, is that Atatürk was hosted in a classroom of this building during his journey throughout the country for the purpose of the Hat Revolution.
The classroom, which was furnished in line with the possibilities of the day, where Atatürk stayed on the night of August 31, 1925, has now been transformed into the “Atatürk Room”.
The building from the 17th Century was designed with two-storey single-row chambers towards the east-west direction, placed in a courtyard. There are wooden portico rows on both floors in front of the chambers. Today, the building is used as an art centre, where traditional Turkish decorative arts are produced and exhibited.
The building, located in the courtyard of the Buğdaypazarı Mosque in the city centre, was built in the 18th century. The two-storey wooden building on a stone floor consists of a single row of chambers towards the north-south direction. The madrasa is used to exhibit ethnographic artifacts, and to showcase, produce and sell the values linked to the cuisine and culture of Çankırı.
The clock of the clock tower was made in Switzerland, and brought to Çankırı in 1866 over İnebolu. The tower, which has a square plan and a rectangular body, is placed on a platform. The clock tower, located at a point overlooking the city, is 15 meters high. It has a balcony at the top and clock dials in four directions.
The Great Mosque (Sultan Süleyman) Mosque
The mosque was built by Sadık Kalfa, one of the foremen of Mimar Sinan, upon the order of the Ottoman Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent. It was opened to worship in 1558. There is a large full dome in the centre, and semi-domes on the four sides of this dome on the square-planned Mosque in the central district. Its walls and minaret are made of cut stone, and the domes tops are lead-covered. The interior of the mosque is decorated in the Rococo style, with calligraphy embellishments in between. Its Minbar (pulpit) is made of stone. Its rostrum is angular with a circular body. The door jambs are made of grooved marble, with a keystone on the arches.
Paşasultan (Ulu) Mosque
The mosque is located in the Şabanözü District. This is one of the mosques with wooden columns, whose construction became widespread during the Principalities Period, the first examples of which are seen in the 13th century. The original sanctuary of the mosque is longitudinally planned in the direction of the mihrab and has three naves. The beams thrown in the north-south direction are carried by three two-row wooden columns perpendicular to the mihrab direction. The ceiling is formed through wooden poles, which are placed east to west upon the beams, which are fixed on corbels. The central nave is higher than the other naves. In 1977, a second prayer section was added to the narthex.
Çankırı Yaran House
The building, which was previously used as a post office and library, was renovated and transformed into a Çankırı Yaran House. The Section of the house, which was used for the convivial meetings is decorated with ethnographic items.
The Historical Laundry, which is a building from the Abdulhamit Period, is known as the largest laundry in our country. The historical laundry has been renovated to its original form and transformed into a place where social and cultural events are held.
Çankırı Castle and Karatekin Bey Tomb
The castle, which was afforested by landscaping in the past years, is a popular recreation spot and also a place to visit. That the tomb of the Seljuk Commander Karatekin Bey, who was the conqueror of Kastamonu, Sinop, and Çankırı, is located herein increases the importance of the castle even more.
The tombs of Karatekin Bey and his wife Meryem Hatun and their two children are in this quite plain building, which is thought to belong to the era of the Danishmended dynasty. In the castle, which is located on a hill overlooking the whole of Çankırı, areas have been created to meet the social needs of the visitors.
The castle, which can be reached by car, has seating areas, pergolas, electricity, water, mosque, and parking lot.
Colloquially known as the Ebcet Bath, an in some sources as Wheat Bazaar, the building is thought to have been built in the 1800s. It was planned as a double. The three-domed cold room is connected to the vaulted Iwan-style hot room with a central dome. There are domed private rooms in the corners. The plan of the women's section is the same as the men's section.
Beşdut Rock-Cut Tombs
The tombs are cut into the rocks on both sides of the stream in central Beşdut Village. It is assumed that they are from th 6th BC. One of them has columns, the other does not. The tomb with collars is 10 m wide and 2 m high. The columns with round bodies have no pedestals. The entrance is square planned. The walls and ceiling are flat. The tomb without columns is located next to the tomb with columns, and is 8x10m. The rectangular-shaped entrance opens to the burial chamber. The walls and ceiling are flat. There are also other similar rock tombs in the region.
Indağı Rock Tombs and Salman Tumulus
The tumulus, located on the side of the Çankırı-Kastamonu road in the southeast of Ilgaz District, is 20-25 m high, and has a flat top. From the pieces of terracotta scattered on the surface due to agricultural activity in the area, it is estimated that the dense period of Byzantine and Roman settlement dates back to earlier ages.
The monumental buildings in the region are on the eastern slopes of a rocky and high hill, south of the Devrez Stream, and on the left side of the Çankırı Kastamonu road. There are many, hand-carved caves, rock-cut tombs, temples that are thought to be rock churches, and caverns with unknown purpose. It is assumed that this place is one of the places where religious ceremonies were held and probably considered sacred in connection with the tumulus.
Rock temples were built on steep and narrow passages along roads in order to protect caravans from bandits, and to pray and worship.
Sakaeli Rock-Cut Tombs and the Fairy Chimneys
The tombs, which are estimated to belong to the Roman and Byzantine Periods, are generally located on the southern steep slopes of the hill behind the village. There are caverns on the surface of the hill, which has the characteristic of pebble sedimentary rock. The caverns of various heights and widths feature the characteristics of single, transitional, two-room sections to which transition is made through steps, and lighting windows. They have a square, rectangular plan, a flat dome, and a saddle-roof ceiling. Small and large niches cut into the walls were used as the burial chamber and for residential purposes. Some of them have arched entrances and have dead remains inside. Between the caverns, there is a cave with water, which can be reached over 27 stairs. The Fairy Chimney formations and rock tombs between them create interesting views in the Gelin Kayası area, which is 2 km away from the village in the flow of the Devrez Stream.
Hüyük Underground City
It is located in the Hüyük Village, 55 km from the city centre. As a result of the cleaning work conducted in the underground city, which is estimated to have been built and used in the 3.-5.th centuries AD, the multi-level cultural asset has been revealed completely. The whole complex has a small church, monk's chambers, a cistern, and other living spaces.
The bridge is built along the Melan Stream outside the district. It has two arches, its feet are made of cut stone, and the other parts are made of wood. It was built wide enough for pedestrians to pass over it. It has a different architectural style created by planks superimposed on cut-stone pillars. The bridge was protected by being covered with a Turkish style tile roof. Although the date of construction is unknown, it is estimated to be 100-150 years old.
Yıldıztepe is suitable for activities such as winter sports, mountain hiking, cross country, mountain biking, camping, scouting, caravan tourism, mountaineering, and is active 12 months of the year.
The area hosts hotels, a 1600 meters long chairlift line with a capacity to carry 1,200 Person/Hour, a 900 meters long skilift with a capacity of 2 person, 2 tracks of 4,700 and 2,000 meters length, a cafeteria, the Yıldızkule Observation Tower, and 2 football fields.
Ilgaz Winter Sports Tourism Centre
It is a large area located in the transition zone between the Black Sea and Central Anatolia Regions, which also includes the Ilgaz Mountain National Park.
The Tourism Centre is within the boundaries of the Çankırı and Kastamonu provinces. The area within the boundaries of Çankırı is known as Doruk Region, and is 23 km away from Ilgaz and 73 km away from Çankırı.
The area attracts visitors with its topographical structure, rich vegetation, natural beauty, beneficial atmosphere for human health, and richness of wildlife, as well as winter and nature sports opportunities, especially in winter.
There is one hotel in the area, which is 700 m away from the Çankırı-Kastamonu highway. It has 1 track for skiers and a new chairlift with a length of 900 meters and a capacity of 1500 people per hour, and 1 baby-lift. Siers, who wish, can also benefit from the facilities of Kastamonu, located in the northwest.
Rivers such as Kızılırmak, Soğanlı, Devrez and Terme creeks and ponds within the boundaries of Çankırı host fish’s species, like trout, catfish, mirror carp, sea bass, stream fish, and freshwater mullet. The province offers different options for angling.
Ilgaz and Köröğlu Mountain ranges, which run parallel to each other in the direction of west-east from north to south, offer great opportunities for trekking type mountaineering activities as well as many rural tourism activities.
Ilgaz Mountains, which form a natural border between Çankırı and Kastamonu, have a height of more than 2,500 meters.
Köroğlu Mountains, which lie in the south parallel to the Ilgaz Mountains, start from the east of the Marmara Sea and extend to the Kızılırmak valley, which passes from Central Anatolia to the Black Sea Region. This Mountain range consists of Işık Mountain (Çerkeş), Aydos Mountain (Orta and Şabanözü), Sanı Mountain (Orta, Şabanözü, Kurşunlu and Korgun), Eldivan Mountain (Eldivan), Geçmiş Mountains (Yapraklı) from west to east. It constitutes the second mountain range of the province with altitudes above 2000 meters in places.
Köroğlu and Ilgaz Mountain ranges, with their dense forests, highlands, and village settlements, which reach from the east to the west of the province, offer possibilities for trekking, hiking, and horse riding, in all seasons of the year.